Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cream Soda Toffee Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


I discovered this recipe last summer and had to make it right away.  I'm fascinated by the use of soda pop in baking recipes and this recipe didn't disappoint.  My sister loves anything toffee, caramel or butterscotch so I knew these would be an instant hit with her.  The original recipe called for using a brown butter frosting but I opted for Cream Cheese instead.  I love the creaminess of the cream cheese frosting with the crunch of the toffee bits.

I'm baking four dozen of these today for a girlfriend to take for a Birthday Celebration tomorrow.  She called to see if I would make cupcakes for her and of course I said yes.  Any excuse to bake cupcakes!  When I asked what flavor she wanted, she said the person celebrating the Birthday loved anything toffee, caramel or butterscotch.  I told her these cupcakes would perfectly fit the bill.  Enjoy and Happy Birthday!


Cream Soda Toffee Cupcakes
from Better Homes and Gardens
Makes 18 cupcakes.

Ingredients:
2  cups  all-purpose flour
1-1/2  tsp.  baking powder
1/2  tsp.  baking soda
1/2  cup  butter, softened
3/4  cup  granulated sugar
1/4  cup  packed brown sugar
3    eggs
1  Tbsp.  molasses
1-1/2  tsp.  vanilla
1/2  cup  buttermilk
1/2  cup  cream soda (not diet)
1/2  cup Heath toffee bits
   
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line eighteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.

In large bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high 30 seconds. Add sugars; beat until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, on low until combined. Beat in molasses and vanilla.

Alternately add flour mixture, buttermilk, and cream soda to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined. Stir in toffee pieces. Fill cups 3/4 full.

Bake about 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pans on racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool.



Cream Cheese Frosting

1 lb. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Dash of salt

In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip the butter and cream cheese for 5 minutes.  Set a timer, do not under beat. Gradually add the powdered sugar to the mixture and scrape down the bowl as needed.  Add the vanilla and salt and mix until combined.  Pipe frosting onto cupcakes using a decorative tip and sprinkle with Heath Toffee Bits.

The frosting can be used right away or stored in the refrigerator up to a week.


As I mentioned, these are my sister's favorite cupcakes, so of course I had to make them for her Birthday last June.  She is a Costume Designer for a local theater, so I topped them with these custom Cupcake Toppers and delivered to her at work.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds great! I just wrote a blog about our Utah/Root Beer Tasting trip. I wonder if I could use Root Beer in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcia, I'm sure you could substitute Root Beer in this recipe. The Cream Soda adds an additional Vanilla flavor and the Root Beer flavor would be a little more robust. I'm dying to try a Root Beer Float Cupcake. As soon as I do, I will definitely post the results.

    ReplyDelete